Friday, September 29, 2006

Blast from the past

Since I spent most of my spare time in Melbourne knitting, my dad told me there were a bunch of my mum's old knitting needles around. For all the crap my family hordes, my dad is definitely the best at making excuses for it and then turning around and producing the crap on demand.

Within 5 minutes he was back upstairs with a plastic bag containing three single needles of different sizes, (5, 7 and 8, I think) and some fuzzy acrylic yarn with unfinished knitting on one needle. It was mine!

When I first learned to knit there was a lot of starting things and just knitting for the fun of it. I never really thought about making anything because the idea of making whole thing seemed impossible! I'd always get frustrated with it after a while, hence the random knitting of nothing. I think my dad found my mum's needles and that yarn and I just started knitting it. So funny that he should give it to me again.

Here are one of those "projects" knitted on a size 7 and a size 8. I especially like this piece because I can see where I tried to do purl stitch. I seem to have alternated between purl and garter for a few rows to create stockinette, but I didn't really figure out what I was doing because I went back to just garter. When you are a knitter, the difference is as clear as night and day, but when you aren't you just can't see things like that. At least it shows my early learning stage which I love.

No comments: